Every year millions of people visit attractions that include interaction with animals for both educational and recreational purposes. It is uncommon for members of the public to become ill as a result from contracting infections from animals during such visits. However, by following simple proven practices it is possible to keep the level of risk to a minimum reduce the levels of risk and provide an enjoyable and safe experience for all.
- The importance of visitor safety.
- The nature of zoonotic disease.
- The potential adverse outcomes to people and the business should an animal infection incident occur.
- The Risk Pathway for Micro-organisms.
- The need for staff training.
- The need for continuous improvement.